Sunday, November 2, 2008

Post 6

Caution, teens: Efforts to raise driving age ahead
http://www.startribune.com/local/28036944.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Lately there has been talk of raising the driving age to 17 or 18 years old. I think that this would be great. I am a teenager and I have talked to other teenagers that agree that 16 is too young to be getting a license. Right now most of my friends are either in the process of getting their license or have already gotten it and that’s scary. I don’t trust most of my friends driving a car. There are so many kids my age that aren’t mature enough to have the responsibility of having a drivers license and there’s even more that are just dumb and you know they will do stupid dangerous things. I think a lot of teens sort of have mixed feelings about getting their license at 16. It seems like the number of teens getting killed in car crashes is always increasing. I’m pretty sure that every one of my friends knows somebody that’s been killed in a car crash. At church last year Kelly Phillips died in a car crash. Everybody knew who she was because she was involved in so many different activities. I remember a conversation some of us had one night at hi-league right after Kelly died. We’d all already started drivers ed and we talked about how scared we were that we’d all be driving in about a year. The human brain isn’t anywhere near being fully developed at 16, there’s at least 4 more years til it is, and I think that putting adolescents in cars going 60 mph right next to other cars also going 60 mph is just dumb.

No comments: